Shelia Counts Buckley sent the following information (click on her name to send her an email message):
Joseph Valentine Simpson (b Feb. 13, 1860-Dec. 29, 1928) born in MO., married to Sarah Jane Kell McDaniel (b.Apr. 1863- Jan. 16, 1933) in the year 1881 in Lawrence co., AR. These are my GG grandparents.
He is listed in the the 1880 census as living in the home as a laborer with Sarah Jane's parents and 4 yr. old son, by another marriage. Her first husband, John J. McDaniel died and she moved in with her parents for a short time.
Joseph and Sarah had the following children: Jasper M. b.July 3, 1896-Oct. 31, 1910; John b.1884-1943; Oliver, Frank, George, Dora Simpson married Finander Childers Clements of Ravenden, Ar.; Maggie E. married Edward Ozwald (Oswald) Justus; and Nellie G. married Amos Carson Clements (this is my ggrandparents.)
I have a picture of Sarah Jane, and I am waiting for a picture of Joseph through another family member. I didn't include all dates because I'm still getting notes together. But now I know who Joseph's father and mother are and other relatives, the puzzle pieces are fitting together.
Descendants of Valentine Wright Simpson
I. VALENTINE WRIGHT1 SIMPSON was born circa 1790 North Carolina. He married CYNTHIA ANN CROWLEY circa 1819 (They had one son under 10 and two daughters under 10 in 1820).
He appeared on the census of 1820 Warren Co., Tennessee (100010-201000).
He executed a deed on 10 Aug 1820 Hickory Creek, Warren Co., Tennessee.
He appeared on the census of 1830 Rutherford Co., Tennessee.
He married LUCRETIA LANE on 12 Mar 1835 Wilson Co., Tennessee.
He appeared on the tax list in 1838 District 3, Cannon Co., Tennessee.
He executed a deed on 21 May 1838 Carsons Fork, Cannon Co., Tennessee, on 22 Nov 1838 District 3, Cannon Co., Tennessee, and on 10 Sep 1839 Brawley Fork, Cannon Co., Tennessee.
He appeared on the census of 1840 Cannon Co., Tennessee.
He executed a deed on 28 Dec 1841 Cannon Co., Tennessee, on 1848 Cannon Co., Tennessee, and on 6 Dec 1848 12th District, Cannon Co., Tennessee.
He and JOSEPH SIMPSON executed a deed on 6 Dec 1848 12th District, Cannon Co., Tennessee.
He appeared on the census of 1850 Cannon Co., Tennessee.
He appeared on the census of 1860 Oregon Co., Missouri.
He died after 1860 probably in Missouri.
Valentine's children are listed below with their offspring:
A. NANCY2 SIMPSON was born circa 1820. She married JACOB M. KUYKENDALL after 1835. As of after 1835, her married name was KUYKENDALL.
1. WILLIAM3 KUYKENDALL was born after 1835.
2. SIMON3 KUYKENDALL was born after 1835.
B. JOHN A.2 SIMPSON was born on 17 Feb 1821 Tennessee. He married MARGARET CHERRY, daughter of JOEL CHERRY and SARAH UNKNOWN, between 16 Sep 1845 and 12 Oct 1845 Cannon Co., Tennessee. He relocated to in 1851 to Lawrence Co., Missouri. He appeared on the census of 14 Jul 1860 Mt. Vernon, Lawrence Co., Missouri. He relocated in 1861 to Randolph Co., Arkansas. He died in 1865 Randolph Co., Arkansas.
1. JAMES ARMSTRONG3 SIMPSON was born on 7 Sep 1846 Cannon Co., Tennessee. He married HELEN REBECCA ELLIS on 26 Dec 1871 Hartville, Wright Co., Missouri. In 1873 he moved to Wright Co., Missouri. He died in 1906 Mtn. Grove, Wright Co., Missouri.
2. NANCY A.3 SIMPSON was born circa 1847 Tennessee.
3. SARAH F.3 SIMPSON was born circa 1850 Tennessee.
4. MARTHA C.3 SIMPSON was born circa 1853 Missouri.
5. JOSEPH "JOEL" VALENTINE3 SIMPSON was born in Feb 1860 Missouri. He appeared on the census of 1880 Dent, Lawrence Co., Arkansas. He married SARAH ANN KELL MCDANIEL in 1881 Lawrence Co., Arkansas.
C. ELIZABETH2 SIMPSON married CHARLES UMBARGER. She was born circa 1825 Tennessee.
1. JOSEPHINE3 UMBARGER
2. SAMUEL3 UMBARGER
3. LEONARD VOLENTINE3 UMBARGER
4. PERCIVAL3 UMBARGER
5. WEBSTER A.3 UMBARGER
6. MARTHA SARAH3 UMBARGER married JAMES FAULKENBERRY.
D. ANDREW SMART2 SIMPSON was born on 23 Nov 1828 Rutherford Co., Tennessee. He and JOSEPH SIMPSON executed a deed on 19 Oct 1853 12th District, Cannon Co., Tennessee. He executed a deed on 29 Sep 1854 12th District, Cannon Co., Tennessee. He married ELEANOR FINLEY on 1 Jan 1857 Cannon Co., Tennessee. He executed a deed on 5 Jan 1857 2nd District, Cannon Co., Tennessee and on 25 Feb 1857 12th District, Cannon Co., Tennessee. He married CAROLINE HERRING on 12 Sep 1880 Benton Co., Mississippi. He died on 11 Apr 1885 Benton Co., Mississippi, at age 56.
1. GEORGE3 SIMPSON was born circa 1856 Cannon Co., Tennessee. He died in 1860 Benton Co., Mississippi.
2. BENJAMIN DOUGLAS3 SIMPSON remained a bachelor. He was admitted to the bar in Jackson, Mississippi and elected to the House of Representatives in Benton in 1890. From 1890 to 1910 he was reelected as a representative of the Mississippi House of Representatives and at the time of his death in 1910 he was serving as a state senator. He was born on 28 Nov 1860 Cannon Co., Tennessee. He died on 21 Oct 1910 Benton Co., Mississippi, at age 49.
3. SARAH ANN3 SIMPSON was born on 26 Aug 1863 Benton Co., Mississippi. She married HENRY LEWIS GODDARD circa 1880 Benton Co., Mississippi. She died on 10 Apr 1885 Benton Co., Mississippi, at age 21.
4. JOHN EWELL3 SIMPSON was born on 1 May 1866 Benton Co., Mississippi. He married MARY EUNICE ELLIS on 21 Feb 1900 Graham, Young Co., Texas. He died on 5 Sep 1952 El Centro, Imperial Co., California, at age 86.
5. JAMES FRANKLIN3 SIMPSON owed on a note He was a farmer who studied at night and became a teacher. In 1896 he was elected County Superintendent of Education and served for 4 years.. He moved to Sheffield, Culbert Co., Alabama in 1900 where he worked in a second hand store and farmed. Later he was a notary public and Justice of the Peace in Sheffield for 15 or 15 years until his death in 1940. He was nearly blind at the time of his death. He was born on 1 Jul 1869 Benton Co., Mississippi. He died in 1940 Mississippi.
6. AMANDA EUGENIA3 SIMPSON died Mississippi. She was born on 4 Jul 1872 Benton Co., Mississippi.
7. ELEANOR3 SIMPSON died Alabama. She was born on 4 Dec 1875 Benton Co., Mississippi. She married JAMES DONALDSON circa 1900.
8. ELIZA3 SIMPSON married JOHN GIBSON. She was born in Apr 1882 Benton Co., Mississippi.
9. WILLIE CAROLINE3 SIMPSON was born in 1883 Benton Co., Mississippi. She died in Mar 1967 Mississippi.
10. OLIVE LESSIE3 SIMPSON was born in Jan 1885 Benton Co., Mississippi. She married FELIX WESLEY POUNDERS circa 1906 Alabama. She died in 1973 Alabama.
E. LOUISA JANE2 SIMPSON owed on a note The name of the wife of Josephus Finely is in doubt. Marjorie Slater said she was Anna Eliza, Claudia Bennett identified her as Sarah and Goodspeed says she was Louisa Simpson. She was born circa 1830 Rutherford Co., Tennessee. She married JOSEPHUS FINLEY on 19 Jan 1848 Cannon Co., TN Census. She died in Aug 1860.
1. ELIZA3 FINLEY
2. JOHN T.3 FINLEY
F. GREEN HENDERSON2 SIMPSON was born in 1831 Rutherford Co., Tennessee. He was employed by a physician before 12 Jul 1860 Oregon Co., Missouri. He appeared on the census of 12 Jul 1860 Woodside Twp., Oregon Co., Missouri. He married SOPHRONIA E. GATLIN on 7 Mar 1861 Tippah Co., Mississippi.
1. ADA MAY3 SIMPSON was born after 12 Jul 1860 Mississippi.
2. MARY3 SIMPSON was born in 1863 Mississippi.
3. ANNIE3 SIMPSON was born in 1866 Mississippi.
4. JOHN HAMILTON3 SIMPSON was born in 1869 Mississippi.
5. MINNIE3 SIMPSON was born circa 1870 Mississippi.
G. MARTHA A.2 SIMPSON married LORENZO DARNE STOUT, HENRY BYRD and JAMES NELSON. She was born in 1833 Rutherford Co., Tennessee. She married JESSE BRANNON on 2 Dec 1846 Cannon Co., TN Census. She died in Feb 1885.
H. OLIVE ELLEN2 SIMPSON was born in 1836 Cannon Co., Tennessee. She married ABRAHAM GOODWIN on 20 Sep 1857 Cannon Co., Tennessee. As of 12 Jul 1860, she was also known as ELLEN GOODEN. [UPDATE: Ed Gooden, a descendant pointed me to the 1880 census record of Benton Co., MS where this couple lived. Also in their household was Lucretia (Olive's mother and widow of Valentine Simpson.]
1. ANDREW3 GOODWIN
2. ELIZA3 GOODWIN
3. THOMAS JEFFERSON3 GOODWIN was born in Dec 1859 Oregon Co., Missouri.
4. JOHN3 GOODWIN was born in 1862 Missouri.
5. JOSEPHUS3 GOODWIN was born in 1867 Missouri.
6. SINAI3 GOODWIN was born in 1869 Missouri.
I. DAVID G.2 SIMPSON was born circa 1838 Tennessee. He married MALISSA GOODEN on 31 May 1861 Oregon Co., Missouri. He married L.N. TOLBERT on 24 Dec 1871 Cannon Co., Tennessee.
J. FRANCIS SINA2 SIMPSON was born circa 1840 Tennessee. She married CHARLES MCKINLEY on 17 Dec 1857 Oregon Co., Missouri.
1. DAVID R.3 MCKINLEY was born in May 1860 Oregon Co., Missouri.
2. ALMARINDA CLEMENTINE3 MCKINLEY was born on 27 Oct 1861 Oregon Co., Missouri.
An anonymous person posted the following comment:
WOW! This blog is great. I will send this to my brothers and sister in Anchorage, AK. They will be very interested to find out the North Carolina connection. I am descended from Justus family in Lawrence County (previously Strawberry County) in northeastern Arkansas. Our grandmother is Maggie Simpson. Her husband's actual name is Edward Oswald Justus. You have the middle name as Ozwald (with a "Z"). The Justus family helped to form the Lone Oak Baptist church and cemetary in Ravenden, Arkansas. They have a website. Joel V. Simpson and Sarah Jane are buried in this cemetary, but the headstones have deteriorated and broken apart. They still hold services at Lone Oak Church. Aunt Dora Simpson was my father's maternal aunt. She was married to Finander. I can remember going to visit at their farmhouse which was situated high on an Ozark hill when I was just a child. Also, in that cemetary, there is a headstone for "Cora Simpson", who died just days before her wedding. She was buried in her wedding gown. This was a story that was handed down from great-grandparents.
Lois O'Banion Costine added more information in comments as follows:
Many thanks to Lois for additional information.